We have had our first snow flurries and it isn’t even Halloween yet. Old man winter has been peering in with some winter teasers, and I’d like to be ready in case he gets REALLY angry.
I ran out to Michaels and found a stash of some chunky Lion Brand Yarn on sale so snagged it up. My little ears get quite cold when the temps drop below 40 degrees. I don’t dread winter too much mind you. Though I don’t like snow on the road, it is super pretty laying across the fields and trees and creates a certain warm feeling inside despite its chill. That ambiance of snuggling indoors close to a roasting fire that can’t be done as fondly in the warmer months.
I was able to whip this little hat up in about 3 hours. It’s all done on straight needles so is great if you are a beginner to knitting.
You Will Need:
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (5oz / 140g; 87 yd / 80m) Yarn. (or something similar) 2 Balls.
- Size 11 (8mm) Knitting needles
- 1 blunt needle for sewing together the seam
- 1 pom-pom maker (or I simply used 2 used toilet paper rolls to make the pom-pom)
Gauge: 9 stitches = about 4 inches stockinette stitch (knit on right side, purl on the wrong side)
Cast on 42 stitches.
- Work in stockinette stitch until hat is about 11 inches long.
- On the last row: Knit 2 stitches together, repeat across the row – you will have 21 stitches left.
- Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail.
- Thread yarn tail into blunt needle and draw through remaining stitches. Pull to gather, then knot securely.
- Sew ends of piece together. This will be the back seam of the hat.
For Pom Pom:
- I took two toilet paper rolls to make the pom-pom. Here is a great video to show you how to do this. Takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Tie pom onto the top of the hat.
It’s SUPER warm!!! My ears will appreciate it on these coming cold days!! Do your kids like to go sledding? This would be perfect for them too!!